Interesting People mailing list archives

watch out! Internet a criminal distribution system?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:44:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: August 29, 2005 7:34:43 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: watch out! Internet a criminal distribution system?

....the *detection* of VoIP traffic? "a criminal distribution system "? read on ....

NOTE: this is from a PR pitch. because it was a private letter I don't feel comfortable disclosing the individuals/company involved (who may not know how their PR firm is pitching them), but I'm copying them so they can join in the debate if they want.

This probably doesn't even merit debate, but it's an indication of the drive-by bad press the Internet is getting these days.

Esther Dyson

Esther,

Telecom industry veterans Juan and Alice will be in New York on Monday, September 19 and Tuesday, September 20 and would like to meet you. They provide top carriers worldwide a transparent view of their networks for IP security, IP mediation, IP monitoring and IP analysis, including the detection of VoIP/Skype traffic.

I believe you will find their thoughts on the Internet becoming a criminal distribution system interesting. If you are interested and available to meet with them on either September 19 or 20, please let me know.

Regards,

Esther Dyson              Always make new mistakes!
Editor, Release 1.0

CNET Networks
104 Fifth Avenue (at 16th Street)
New York, NY 10011    USA