Interesting People mailing list archives

U.S. Government Well Defended Against Cyber-Attacks, State Says

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 02:37:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: GLIGOR1 () aol com
Date: August 28, 2005 12:01:06 AM EDT
To: vinton.g.cerf () mci com, dfarber () cs cmu edu, mslynn () mac com, Dennis.Jennings () ucd ie, fuchs () mellon org, kmk7 () cornell edu, lhl () cs wisc edu
Subject: U.S. Government Well Defended Against Cyber-Attacks, State Says

Text: U.S. Government Well Defended Against Cyber-Attacks, State Says

(Promoting cyber-security through international organizations also
crucial) (470)

The United States defends against attempted attacks into its computer
systems from sources in China -- as well as many other countries -- and
the most effective approach to counter these threats is to "focus on the
policies, instruments, and personnel required to protect our systems," the
State Department says.

25, the State Department said the United States promotes cyber-security
initiatives in international organizations such as the Asia-Pacific
Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum, which includes China as a member.

Since January alone, the State Department has blocked about 3.8 million
viruses and 13 million spam attacks from its systems.

Following are the texts of two questions taken at the regular State
Department briefing August 25 and the State Department's responses:

(begin text)

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman
August 26, 2005

  QUESTION TAKEN AT AUGUST 25, 2005, DAILY PRESS BRIEFING

  China-Origin Cyber Intrusions

  QUESTION:  Has the Government of China cooperated in countering these
cyber attacks?

  Threats to our computer systems can arise from many sources and are
difficult to identify.  We defend against attempted attacks into our
systems from sources in China and many other countries.  Criminals and
hackers constantly look for vulnerabilities to exploit and will route
through unprotected computers wherever they are.  The most effective
approach to counter these threats is to focus on the policies,
instruments, and personnel required to protect our systems to the fullest
extent possible.

  We actively promote global or regional cyber security initiatives in
international fora, such as the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
forum, the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development, and the
Organization of American States. China is a member of APEC and takes part
in the cyber security dialogue in that venue.

  QUESTION:  Was the State Dept. targeted or successfully penetrated by
the China-origin computer hacking effort known as Titan Rain?  How does
the State Department protect its computer systems?

Attempts to intrude on web sites are a fact of life in the Internet. We
have had no successful intrusions on our public websites, either in the
U.S. or abroad. To protect our public web sites, the Department of State
employs state-of-the-art practices to minimize the risks.  To go into
details would offer assistance to those who try to damage our websites.

  We remain vigilant through our anti-virus and firewall protection to
thwart attacks such as these.  So far this calendar year, the Department
of State has blocked from its systems about 3.8 million viruses and 13
million spam attacks.

Any further questions about intrusions into or attempted attacks against
USG networks should be directed to the Department of Homeland Security.

(end text)

(Distributed by the Bureau of International Information Programs, U.S.
Department of State. Web site: http://usinfo.state.gov)