Interesting People mailing list archives

Real reason Hugo Chavez is being painted as enemy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:03:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David S. Isenberg" <isen () isen com>
Date: August 27, 2005 6:59:18 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: [politics] Real reason Hugo Chavez is being painted as enemy

Dave,
Dewayne,

Here's a story that, if true, deserves a much wider hearing than
the U.S. press is giving it:

Hugo Chavez has been actively been beating the "oil weapon"
into plowshares, according to this article in The Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/venezuela/story/0,12716,1555970,00.html

It quotes him saying, "We want to sell gasoline and heating fuel directly to
poor communities in the United States."  It also reports

Mr Chávez has set up arrangements with other countries
for swapping services in exchange for oil. Cuban doctors
are working in the poorer areas of Venezuela in exchange
for cheap oil going to Cuba.

Jamaica yesterday became the first Caribbean country to
reach an agreement with Venezuela for oil at below-market
terms. The Petrocaribe initiative is a plan to offer oil at
flexible rates to 13 Caribbean countries. Jamaica will pay
$40 a barrel, against a market rate of more than $60.

David I
-------

Begin forwarded message: