Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Lauren Weinstein's Blog Update: CNN Dropped From U.S. Naval Academy Video Network

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:17:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: August 24, 2005 10:08:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Lauren Weinstein's Blog Update: CNN Dropped From U.S. Naval Academy Video Network

I would be willing to call their bluff. I will pay the $3,500. To whom do
I send it?  I guess this is the post modern version of burning books.

Perhaps we could give out short wave radios so they can get the BBC at
night.

Robert Lee

  Lauren Weinstein's Blog Update: CNN Dropped From U.S. Naval Academy
Video Network

                             August 24, 2005

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000143.html

<i>Note: This item supersedes my short blog entry on this issue from
yesterday, which has been removed since it has become redundant.</i>

Greetings.  It was recently brought to my attention that CNN was
dropped a bit over two weeks ago from the U.S. Naval Academy's (USNA)
internal video network used for academic functions, which feeds to
classrooms, more than 4000 students, etc.  This left FOX News as the
only news channel on the USNA video network, which is operated by the
academy's Multimedia Support Center (MSC).

While there are reportedly some at the academy who are not sorry to
see CNN go -- I'm told it is routinely referred to as the "Communist
News Network" by many USNA officers and civilians -- there are also
persons at the academy who are very upset at CNN's plug being pulled.

Remarkably, this all appears to be about a $3500/year fee that I'm told
CNN wants the academy to pay, and that MSC has determined they cannot
afford, given other budget priorities.

This is the information that I've been able to collect to this point,
and I'll update if I learn more.

If CNN's signal is really being withheld at USNA over $3500, then we're
looking at a sorry situation indeed.  In particular, it would seem in
the best interests of CNN (and this country) to make sure that the U.S.
Naval Academy network has full access to CNN programming, even if that
meant not collecting any fee at all.

FOX News has its place of course, but leaving them as the only news
channel on a venue as important as the USNA video network, makes it
look like CNN is trying to shoot itself in the foot.

--Lauren--