Interesting People mailing list archives

more on MICHAEL K. POWELL'S GOLDEN REVOLVING DOOR

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:22:04 -0400

Again I agree. As an APPROVE:1965
my salary was at UPenn level much more than most FCCers got and still I took a pay cut in that I did no consulting during my term.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Patrick Ross <Pross () pff org>
Date: August 12, 2005 2:55:04 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] MICHAEL K. POWELL'S GOLDEN REVOLVING DOOR

Dave,

I've seen this screed by Jeff Chester elsewhere, and I'll confess I
don't understand it.

Has anyone thought of the implications here? First of all, why should
FCC chairs and commissioners agree not to do not-for-profit work for a
time after they leave, when other public officials have no such
restrictions? The FCC isn't the only government agency that deals with
corporate America. I imagine the response is "Well, let's mandate it for
every public official."

Okay, so what then? Some of our forefathers didn't want politicians to
be paid because they were concerned about improper motivation. But
others pointed out that in that case only the independently wealthy
would serve. That would hardly be representative of a country with a
thriving middle class.

Many FCC chairs and commissioners take pay cuts to work there.  That's
true of bureau chiefs and 8th floor staff as well. Now, Jeff and Dwayne
would have them not only take a pay cut while they are in public office,
but for an undefined number of years after their service is complete.
They likely were skilled in telecom before the FCC, have sharpened
skills after their tenure, but can't put that to use in the job market
the way anyone who didn't work at the FCC can. Instead, they have to go
do some job that may not appeal to them as part of the price of being at
the FCC.

I work for a nonprofit think tank, and this would be great for us,
because we'd try to hire a bunch of ex-commissioners and chairmen,
Republican and Democrat. We can't afford them now, of course. But I'm
trying to look beyond my parochial interest here and figure out how
anyone could give this a moment's thought and not feel that such a move
in fact would all but dry up the pool of people willing to leave private
practice and enter public service.

Patrick Ross
VP-Communications & External Affairs
The Progress & Freedom Foundation