Interesting People mailing list archives

The Internet, As It Was - A Story of Dave Farber and the IP List

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:06:23 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Jonathan B Spira  <jspira () basex com>
Sent: 1/4/'05,  9:48

Dave, a recent exchange of e-mails following a posting on the IP list resulted in my column this week, which I think
you and other IPers may find of interest.

If I haven't said it in a while, thanks for the IP list.  It is truly a gift.

/s/ Jonathan

                          Basex:TechWatch

           A Weekly Monitor and Digest of Technology News

              Basex BusinessEdge and Basex MarketEdge
                 Reports and Industry Intelligence

                        Get the whole picture.
                Visit http://www.basex.com/wholepicture

BASEX:COMMENTARY-OF-THE-WEEK BY JONATHAN B. SPIRA

THE INTERNET, AS IT WAS

For a moment - and it was just a moment in the passage of time - I was transported back to the early days of the
Internet, when a pioneering spirit of friendlin
ess and cooperation was the norm.

Let me explain how this happened.

The last section to be written for my book, Managing the Knowledge Workforce: Understanding the Information Revolution
That's Changing the Business World, is a
timeline on knowledge and information work.  David Goldes (Basex' president) and I had actually started researching
this in 1990, and we published it that year.
  The original 1990 timeline had 20 entries, starting with the invention of paper (105) and the pencil (1465),
continuing with the typewriter (1808), the comput
er (ENIAC, 1946), and the floppy disk (1970).  I decided to include it - with additional entries - in the book.  My
augmented timeline has ca. 70 entries, start
ing with ink (2697 B.C.E.) and continuing with the alphabet (ca. 1600 B.C.E.), including the codex (first century
C.E.), the wireless telegraph (1792, Chappe Se
maphore), and the graphical user interface (1975).  My criteria for inclusion included its significance to knowledge
and information work, and whether it qualif
ied as a "first" [e.g. the FIRST fountain pen (1702) made it in, but Lewis Waterman's commercially successful version a
century later did not].

What I didn't have was a firm fix on the first office telephone system, or Private Branch eXchange (PBX).  I had a
vague recollection about a Midwestern retirem
ent home having the first PBX but none of my searches proved fruitful.  Not the type to give up, I e-mailed my friend
Dave Farber, a founding father of the Inte
rnet and proprietor of the IP redistribution and commentary mailing list, asking him to send my enquiry on to the
30,000 or so IP readers (IP stands for Interes
ting Persons). (Wired magazine once called Dave the "Paul Revere" of the Internet.)

No sooner had I clicked on send, than my in box started to fill up.  First, Katie Hafner, who writes for the New York
Times, promised to look this up in her cop
y of John Brooks' "Telephone: The First 100 Years" when she got home.  Mark Seiden pointed me to two possible "firsts"
- one of which was the Old Soldiers' Home
 in Dayton Ohio (1878).  Half a dozen other IPers also e-mailed me, some asking questions to narrow the scope of my
enquiry; others recommending places to look
for further info.

Esther Dyson chimed in and introduced me via e-mail to Tom Malone, a professor at MIT who she felt would know the
answer.

For a moment - and it really was just a moment - I thought of a few mailing lists of the early 1990s where pioneering
Internet users were doling out their exper
tise left and right.  No banner adverts, no commercialization, just people helping people.  But it was just a moment.

Jonathan B. Spira is CEO and Chief Analyst at Basex.  He can be reached at jspira () basex com

/=================== http://www.basex.com/advance ===================\

  "The right book at the right time by the right author" - KMWorld

                  Managing the Knowledge Workforce
              Understanding the Information Revolution
                 That's Changing the Business World
                       by Jonathan B. Spira

                      Preface by Amy D. Wohl
  Includes 13 case studies including Britannia Airways, LogicaCMG,
Unisys, IBM, American Management Systems, Reuters, and Duane Morris

   Special pre-publication pricing $29.99 including free shipping

      Click on http://www.basex.com/advance for a peek inside

\=================== http://www.basex.com/advance ===================/

To send us your company news for possible inclusion in
Basex:TechWatch, visit http://www.basex.com/news.

Basex:TechWatch

Chief Analyst:                Jonathan B. Spira
Editorial Director:           Basilio Alferow
Contributors:                 David M. Goldes,
                              Mariko Kato,
                              John R. Kessling, and
                              Ellen Pearlman.

(c) Copyright 2005 Basex, Inc. All rights reserved.

Basex, the Basex logo, Knowledge. Analysis. The Right Decisions
For Your Business, Collaborative Business Knowledge, Collaborative
Business Environments, KWIQ and Knowledge Worker Impact Quotient
are all trademarks or registered trademarks of Basex, Inc.

All data, opinions, and projections are based on Basex' judgment at
the time of publication and are subject to change. This copyrighted
material may not be duplicated by any means without Basex'
permission.

Basex, Inc.  350 Fifth Avenue/33rd Floor, New York, N.Y. 10118 USA