Interesting People mailing list archives

TTY device

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:49:04 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:52:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: anonymous only pls.

Dave, if you forward this, please strip me out of it completely.  It's a
sensitive matter.

I am being told that if someone uses a TTY device and sends a message to
an ATT operator, who has the equipment to receive the TTY message, and the
operator then relays the message to the intended recipient, the ATT
operator cannot trace the call -- that TTY perhaps defeats caller ID?  In
a world of increasing transparency of the origin of telephone calls, is
this a real gap?  An opportunity for someone wishing to send a nefarious
message and escape detection?  I ask because I can't quite believe that it
is and would be glad to have an indication of chapter and verse that it is
not; but if it *is* true, it seems to raise a question of privacy v.
security.

Anon.

------ End of Forwarded Message