Interesting People mailing list archives

US Passports as RFID Greeting Cards

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:04:54 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bill Scannell <bill () scannell org>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:42:18 -0400
To: John Morris <jmorris () cdt org>, <dave () farber net>
Cc: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs () cs columbia edu>, "Bruening, Paula"
<pbruening () cdt org>, "Schwartz, Ari" <ari () cdt org>
Subject: US Passports as RFID Greeting Cards

John,

The light sensor idea is a curious one.

While you're at it, maybe you could use the extra ROM on the chip to play a
song when the light sensor is activated.  Might I suggest "Every Breath You
Take" by The Police?

RFID is an inappropriate technology for use in any identity document.
Faraday cages, Fritos bags or light sensors may lesson the danger of the
chip, but the simple fact is that passports will be opened and read by
people other than US immigration authorities.  Dr. Evil (or Mr. Thief)
merely needs to have one of his minions take a job as a hotel desk clerk to
be able to get a perfect digital copy of your passport photograph, as well
as your personal details, in order top create other, less secure, identity
documents with this information.

I wish that CDT would spend more time lobbying the Hill trying to kill-off
this dangerous plan rather than floating ways to put a smiley face on an
inherently bad idea.

All the best,

Bill

http://www.rfidkills.com