Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Request for Help from the "Paul Revere of Cyberspace" -- for PA people

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:53:27 -0400

I agree with this comment .. djf

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:36:19 -0700
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: American Voter <the_american_voter () yahoo com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Request for Help from the "Paul Revere of Cyberspace" --
for PA people

On 4/20/05, David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:

 Dear Professor Farber:

 I represent the citizens' group "American
 Voter", which petitioned the Commonwealth
 of PA to re-examine the UniLect Patriot, which
 resulted in the decertification of that system.

As a voting technology researcher, I would suggest that American Voter
try to be a little more reasonable with their press releases.  Like
this one from yesterday:

<http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/4/prweb229984.htm>

which, among other things calls the Unilect a "blatant ballot-rigging
system".  I could cite other language that differs greatly between
this press release and their very measured request for help to Prof.
Farber.

Point is: if you'd like to challenge the system, do so on substantive
grounds, not inflated and exagerated rhetoric that is, at times,
simply not true, or your voice will be marginalized and will find no
purchase.  A good place to start is *CMU* Prof. Shamos'
[decertification report], which should provide you all the substantive
ammunition you could possibly need.

[decertification report]:
http://www.dos.state.pa.us/dos/lib/dos/20/shamos_report-_unilect200502apr05.
pdf

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
UC Berkeley, SIMS PhD Student

This email is written in [markdown][]; an easily-readable and
parseable text format.
[markdown]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

------ End of Forwarded Message