Interesting People mailing list archives

more on on RFIDs in passports

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:26:38 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:07:48 -0400
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on on RFIDs in passports

[For IP]

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 09:04 -0400, David Farber wrote:
The proposed regulation itself provides as follows:

Sec. 51.6 --Damaged, mutilated or altered passport: Any passport
which has been materially changed in physical appearance or
composition, or contains a damaged, defective or otherwise
nonfunctioning electronic chip, or which includes unauthorized
changes, obliterations, entries or photographs, ... may be
invalidated.

Setting aside any of the other concerns with RFID, this presents a
purely pragmatic problem.

When my passport gets sufficiently dog-eared, I can plainly see that it
is time to replace it. There is no obvious way to know that the RFID
chip in my passport is busted without an RFID reader.

So: how does you average bear determine whether their passport is valid
before heading off to the airport?

shap

------ End of Forwarded Message