Interesting People mailing list archives

( as they say -- uh? djf) Clarification about using Skype on University Network]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:33:22 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Schliesser, Benson" <bensons () savvis net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:25:34 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: FW: [Fwd: Clarification about using Skype on University Network]

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Brett [mailto:tony.brett () computing-services oxford ac uk]
Sent: 12 April 2005 11:21
To: itss-announce () maillist ox ac uk
Subject: [itss-a] Clarification about using Skype on Univeristy Network

Dear all,

We have been asked at OUCS on several occasions whether it is acceptable
for people to use Skype on the University Network.

There is no problem in what Skype does, and we have no objection to
(especially overseas) students who want to communicate cheaply with
friends and family. I'm afraid there is a problem though in how Skype
works in that individual machines become peer-to-peer hosts and these
are generally machines with lots of bandwidth available (i.e. those on
the University Network).

The fact that PCs effectively become Skype Servers means that use of
skype is in contravention of rule 13.(6)(a):

"(6) (a) No computer connected to the university network may be used to
give any person who is not a member or employee of the University or its
colleges access to any network services outside the department or
college where that computer is situated."

(From http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/statutes/regulations/196-052.shtml)

So please make sure that your users are aware of the fact that the use
of Skype on the University Network contravenes of the ICTC regulations.
The regulations are made by ICTC, not by OUCS, so if people wish to
challenge them the appropriate route is through the subcommittee groups
of ICTC listed at: http://www.ox.ac.uk/it/groups/

Sorry to be firm about this but we have been asked for clarification and
here it is!

Yours,

Tony

--