Interesting People mailing list archives

WARNING on line tax filing EULA

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:44:30 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Barry Ritholtz  <ritholtz () optonline net>
Sent: 14/4/'05,  12:10

Hey Dave

Just a warning: I filed online (earlier) at Complete Tax.

If you use them, they have buried in the center of their very long
License/Terms of Use an opt out:

     "Check this box if you do not want to receive our promotional
information as indicated above."

Now, nearly every page I've encounterdd places the Terms of Use opt out
(or if they have any scruples, Opt In) right near where you must click
"accept" or "decline."

Not these characters. Its a screen or two away from the buttons you
click. Very obnoxious, and more than a little tricky.

If you are doing your taxes online, two pieces of advice:  The 15th has
very slow wait times, and you risk server crashes/lost filing. You
online filers/procrastinators best do them today, rather than tomorrow.

Second, read the EULA/Terms of Use. Carefully

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist
Maxim Group
405 Lexington Avenue,