Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A washingtonpost.com article The Media, Losing Their Way

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:51:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Wilson <dave () wilson net>
Date: September 26, 2004 10:13:13 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] A washingtonpost.com article The Media, Losing Their Way

If you pick up any public relations textbook written in the eighties, somewhere it will explain that lying to the news media is the worst possible thing a flackcan do. That's because, 20 years ago, journalists -- and I was one of them -- engaged it what was known as the death penalty: You lie to me, and I never quote you again. Obviously, people dissemble, restate, and fuzz up the facts, but you just weren't allowed to outright lie, and if you did, we'd cut off your oxygen; you couldn't stay alive in Washington if a reporter simply refused to quote you. But as 24 hour cable news operations sprang up and grew increasingly competitive, their vast appetite for guests -- and increasingly, well, "colorful" guests -- could only be satisfied by letting anybody go on the air, even people who weren't reliable sources. Traditional print executives demanded that their employees get quotes form those lying liars on they'd heard about on television in the newspaper. And so it goes....

-dave