Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on What if Cat Stevens had flown under a different name?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 05:01:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: suresh () hserus net (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
Date: September 23, 2004 9:38:13 PM EDT
Cc: plevy () citizen org, SBaker () steptoe com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on more on What if Cat Stevens had flown under a different name?

From: Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org>

"But the IP list has consistently derided and opposed the
government's effort to do just that"

Does the IP list have a position on that question?  I thought the idea
was to forward a variety of view on various questions.....

Maybe modify that to "a significant number of liberal / left leaning IP
regulars have consistently derided ..."

Though I see nothing very good in CAPPS II, or in Bush, or in Schwarzenegger, at least some IP posters seem to think deriding and abusing these at every given opportunity helps, or has any use at all, and that random abuse is an
excellent substitute for logical argument.

For example, somebody called Arnold a "fascist, steroid addled bohunk" in http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200409/ msg00030.html and
then finished up with the "Full Disclaimer" that he was not a democrat.

Does Godwin's law about people losing arguments when they start throwing around words like "nazi" and "fascist" apply to IP the way it applies to usenet? :)

        srs