Interesting People mailing list archives

more on What if Cat Stevens had flown under a different name?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:28:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "sbaker () steptoe com" <sbaker () steptoe com>
Date: September 23, 2004 12:51:13 PM EDT
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () steptoe com>
Subject: RE: [IP] What if Cat Stevens had flown under a different name?

I can't resist responding to this. Richard is right, of course. Officials need to know *which* John Smith they have in front of them. How can they do that? The way anyone would -- asking whether this is the John Smith that lives in Poughkeepsie and used to live in Knoxville and is married to Mary
Smith.  But the IP list has consistently derided and opposed the
government's effort to do just that -- to create (in CAPPS II) a way to
conduct quick, easy record checks that can provide "depth of field" to an
identification.

It's fair (but not very sensible, in my view) to criticize CAPPS II on
privacy grounds. It's not fair to criticize CAPPS II on privacy grounds and then to criticize the government's current system because it does a bad job
of going beyond an individual's name.