Interesting People mailing list archives

From today's NYT -- Must Read

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:24:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: hal () halstucker com
Date: September 1, 2004 12:40:10 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: From today's NYT -- Must Read

Dear Prof. Farber:

As a New Yorker and, like most of my fellow citizens, a
first-hand witness to the destruction of the World Trade
Center, and as someone who is also more than a little bit
angry about the Republican Party's attempts to use these
painful memories as a theater prop, I found this article from
today's NYT extraordinarly moving.

It is extremely important, I think, to reminded all of us (and
not just those wrapping themselves in the flag a few blocks
from where I'm typing this) that those who died in the Trade
Towers reflected not just the diversity of New York City, but
the diversity of this country as a whole.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/01/politics/campaign/01about.html?hp

<snip>

Monzur Ahmed, who has been managing a buffet table this week
for several Republican National Convention parties at the
Noche restaurant in Times Square, says nothing as speakers use
September 11th to justify four more years for their candidate.
He tells no one about his life at Windows on the World, the
glittery restaurant on the 107th floor of the World Trade
Center's north tower, or about the 79 friends and colleagues
who died, including a beloved uncle.

<snip>

No place has stronger ties to Windows on the World than Noche.
It is managed by some of the same people who managed Windows.
It had 60 former Windows employees when it opened in 2002 ...
Whenever the police identified Windows effects among trade
center debris, they called Noche.