Interesting People mailing list archives

Nature Magazine: Bush Vs. Kerry on Science

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:28:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: September 16, 2004 10:59:41 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Nature Magazine: Bush Vs. Kerry on Science

[Note:  This item comes from reader Robert Berger.  DLH]

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: September 16, 2004 7:55:46 PM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Nature Magazine: Bush Vs. Kerry on Science

Links to in depth analysis of particular areas:

In five policy areas,  news () nature com compares the two candidate's
contrasting stances and the hopes of the scientific community.

Climate change
Kerry advocates stricter stance on greenhouse-gas emissions.
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040913/full/040913-8.html

Yucca Mountain
Fate of nuclear waste dump divides candidates.
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040913/full/040913-7.html

Stem cells
Candidates take opposing stances on medical research.
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040913/full/040913-11.html

Nuclear weapons research
Need for new bomb tests questioned.
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040913/full/040913-9.html

Manipulation of science
Bush administration stands accused of distorting science.
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040913/full/040913-9.html

and an Online flash interactive version of the Bush Vs. Kerry Head to Head:
http://www.nature.com/news/specials/uselection/index.html

PDF of the magazine article (much easier to read!):
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040913/pf/431238.pdf

In the build-up to the US presidential election, science is making a
sizeable impact on the political agenda. But what will another four years of
George W. Bush mean for science, compared with a term under Democratic
challenger John Kerry?

To find out, Nature has asked the two candidates 15 questions about their
science policies. Their answers are displayed below in our interactive
feature, along with in depth analyses of the key issues, an investigation of
electronic voting and our correspondents' lively and opinionated blog.

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>