Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC adopts rules for broadband over power lines

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:28:46 +0100

9last of tread djf)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: October 16, 2004 5:53:26 PM GMT+01:00
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FCC adopts rules for broadband over power lines

Dave [for IP, if you wish to continue this thread]--

Well, cable/RBOCs/power firms are certainly monopolies in their core business, but not in BB, which is the market under discussion. Mr. Glass has shifted the argument to cross-subsidy, suggesting that firms with monopolies in one market will cross-subsidize their new competitive businesses with their old monopoly ones (something that virtually all firms do, funding new ventures from existing cash flow). Lots of economic theory suggesting this is worse for regulated firms (like power distribution companies and ILECs) and, big surprise, regulators have known this for years and have safeguards to protect against this (imperfect, of course) . Microsoft has the freedom to do this (as does any other unregulated firm), so what's the beef (the case against MS, incidentally, was *not* based on cross-subsidy? This is business as usual, except that regulators forbid it for regulated firms.

"The FCC clearly did this [get spectrum out] for broadcasters..." Whoa! This was done in the '30s and '40s (although there was the huge DTV spectrum giveaway in the mid-'90s), but let's be clear: it was Congress, not the FCC, who gave away spectrum to the broadcasters, and most of us in the spectrum debate view this as the bad old days that we want to change. Yes, Congress was the broadcasters' Mommy, and you don't have to be a genius to figure out why. But don't blame the FCC for a Congressional action.

The idea that it's big firms buying spectrum to foreclose competition cries out for evidence of this. You state that cable and DSL competition has driven prices so low that wireless BB can't compete (remember "monopolies"? They drive prices up, not down) . Well, that's wonderful for me. What are you proposing? To push BB prices back up so that you can profitably offer wireless BB? No thank you. I'll take the (alleged) low prices (tho I really don't agree with that premise: in Japan, 10 Mb/s DSL costs $20/mo).

Yes, I think they are "running with the Big Dogs"; Mr. Glass reminds us of MS v Netscape, and how they couldn't keep up, and was that fair? Well, when you enter the market, it doesn't say "fair" on your admission ticket. When MS went after Netscape, Netscape was frozen like a deer in the headlights. It's most effective weapon were legal/political maneuvers which failed. How come we never talk about firms that compete successfully against MS, such as Adobe and Intuit (to name just two). Bottom line: if you can't purchase your inputs (i..e., spectrum license) at a price at which you can compete, then this is not a good market for you (re: Harry Truman: "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"). But somehow, I think others will make wireless BB work, even if Mr. Glass does not.

Excellent point that you can't repeal the laws of physics (any more than you can repeal the laws of economics). Commons advocates have been pushing for more commons, alleging that new technology will make old ideas about interference obsolete. Well, maybe. Perhaps you should speak with them directly. I've long suspected that this might well be smoke-and-mirrors.

Incidentally, there are only a few economists advocating commons, and none of them are those "who tend to take positions that favor large businesses." Quite the opposite, in fact.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>