Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Om Malik on: Shrinking consumer broadband choices?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:35:31 +0100

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: October 16, 2004 12:58:14 AM GMT+01:00
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Om Malik on: Shrinking consumer broadband choices?

Dave [for IP, if you like]--

I have a deeper problem re: comments on BB uptake in the US: Are we in some sort of race to adopt BB, that we think is really important to win and we seem to be losing? As far as I know, there is no prize to be first to 95% HH penetration. Do we honestly think that our (IPers) taste for BB absolutely must be shared by the rest of the population? Yes, I love it and I wish I had higher speeds, etc. But I don't think the social, political and economic well-being of the US depends upon ubiquitous BB, any more than it depends upon ubiquitous television (which we in fact have). Could someone tell me why this matters? And back it up with evidence?

Ditto the claims about how others are far ahead of us in cellular. Who cares?

Professor Gerald R. Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104