Interesting People mailing list archives

A lesson in gravy boat etiquette

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:42:01 +0100

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
Date: October 14, 2004 8:23:35 PM GMT+01:00
To: dave () farber net
Subject: A lesson in gravy boat etiquette

Dave:

Here is the piece from today's guardian that I told you about.

cheers

Brian

===

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/commons/comment/0,9236,1326850,00.html

A lesson in gravy boat etiquette

Simon Hoggart
Thursday October 14, 2004
The Guardian

Did Tony Blair apologise for the Iraq war? Of course not. Are you mad?

So if he didn't, did he apologise for something else, such as offering the country a prospectus so phoney it would have had a bent Mayfair estate agent run out of business?

The jury is still out. (I hate that cliche. In my experience, juries want to reach a verdict and get home for lunch. That will not apply in this case.)

It was the first prime minister's question time since the party conferences. Michael Howard said Mr Blair had not accurately reported the intelligence to MPs. "Will you now say 'sorry' for that?"

Here is the reply: "I take full responsibility and apologise for any information given in good faith which has subsequently turned out to be wrong.

"What I do not in any way accept is that there was any deception of anyone. I will not apologise for removing Saddam Hussein. I will not apologise for the conflict. I believe it was right then, is right now, and essential for the wider security of that region and the world."

This is the Tony Blair school of etiquette, in which you say you are "sorry" while making it clear (a) that you are not to blame, (b) that it wasn't your fault, and (c) even if it was, you would do the same thing all over again.

For instance, "I am sorry that I spilled gravy all over your trousers. I hope you will accept that there was nothing intentional about this. Had I known there was a ruck in the carpet, I would not have trodden on it while holding the gravy boat.

"But there is one thing I will not do, and that is apologise for the gravy itself. The whole house will agree that gravy is a vital part of any meal involving roast meat. Meat without gravy is intolerably dry and the British people will never accept that.

"The Rt Hon gentleman has conspicuously failed to tell us his attitude to gravy. Let me remind him that under the last Tory administration the quantity of gravy fell to its lowest level ever.

"I have to tell him that with inflation at a record low, and our educational standards rising at every level ... "

Or, "I regret that you were unaware that I am a married man. I spoke at all times in good faith, and I must make it clear that at no stage was I asked whether I had a wife.

"What I cannot do is apologise for our trip to Brighton, where, you may recall, we had a suite in the Grand, a champagne and smoked salmon supper, and at no time during that long, and might I add, eventful night, was the question of marital status ever raised ..."

After a while you just want to beg him to stop. "I don't mind!" you cry. "Just shut up!"

Curiously, the sharpest shaft came from Bob Wareing, a, short, plump Liverpudlian MP who has been around the place, largely unnoticed, for more than 20 years.

He opposed the invasion of Iraq and stood up to say that if getting rid of Saddam had been the real aim of the war, how was it that in February 2003 Mr Blair offered the dictator a chance to stay in office by meeting the UN demands?

This was greeted with loud and prolonged cheering from Lib Dems and Tories, delighted to see a Labour MP, and such an unexpected one, wield the scalpel so deftly.

Mr Blair flannelled. "The reason we had to change regime was that it was perfectly obvious he was not going to comply."

Hmm. "Had the gravy boat been empty, my Hon friend would have had no need to complain. But it was because with gravy the beef is a moister, more digestible meal, a meal that the British people deserve ..."

And so on, for the next few years.
--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK