Interesting People mailing list archives

: Transcript: Bush Talks to O'Reilly - O'REILLY: The South Vi etnamese didn't fight for their freedom, which is why they don't have it today. BUSH: Yes

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:20 -0400

rom: United Asian - Nam Nguyen [mailto:nam () unitedasian org]
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 2:17 AM
To: president () whitehouse gov
Subject: Transcript: Bush Talks to O'Reilly - O'REILLY: The South Vietnamese
didn't fight for their freedom, which is why they don't have it today. BUSH:
Yes

Dear The Honorable President George W. Bush,

Transcript: Bush Talks to O'Reilly
O'REILLY:  The South Vietnamese
didn't fight for their freedom, which is why they don't have it
today.
BUSH:  Yes.

On behalf of the United Asian organization, we are writing this
letter to let you know that we were very disappointed to hear you
acknowledge on the O'Reilly Talk Show that The South Vietnamese
didn't fight for their freedom, which is why they don't have it
today.  In my opinion, I did not agree with you and I believe that
you (Mr. President Bush) were not well informed and totally wrong
about the Former South Vietnamese soldiers.

Mr. President Bush, you must know that most anti-Communist Vietnamese
believe that the United States was right when supporting the Republic
of Vietnam with aids and soldiers. However, the American and the
Republic of Vietnam (RVN) governments have lost the war because
Washington was lacking in resolution, while South Vietnamese leaders
believed that Washington would never accept the dishonor of a total
defeat.

The United States Armed Forces relied too much on their great
firepower and modern weaponry and equipment. Tactics of conventional
battle were mainly applied against the enemy's unconventional
warfare, while American leaders seemed to be overconfident in
their "know-how" in fighting a war that required the more know-how on
psychological strategy than just on modern technology.
So far, in comments on the Vietnam War, many people have taken for
granted that the only four parties in the war were the Americans, the
South Vietnamese, the North Vietnamese and its disguised subordinate,
the so-called National Liberation Front. That was true on the
battlefields only.

In fact, the Vietnam Communist Party and its regime were strongly
supported by the whole Communist bloc. Immense military aids came
from Beijing and Moscow. Unofficial sources estimated that aids from
Red China and the Soviet Union had been in tens of billion dollars,
not far lower than US aids to South Vietnam and American military
expenses in the Vietnam War.

Moreover, the Soviet Union, China, North Korea and possibly Cuba
joined North Vietnamese Communist forces in direct fighting the
Americans in North Vietnam with their combat pilots, and air defense
SAM-6 surface-to-air battalions (Soviet). Beijing also sent some
infantry divisions to safeguard the northern mountainous area of
North Vietnam and many engineer regiments to repair bombed bridges
and road in North Vietnam.

On the other hand, the Vietnamese Communist leaders were certain that
American and South Vietnamese forces would not invade North Vietnam.
So Hanoi could leave their land undefended against invasion by the
Allies to send all their available ground forces to the battles in
the South.

The Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces and the United States military
in Vietnam were fighting against not only the Vietnamese Communist
forces, but the whole Communist bloc as well.
http://www.vietquoc.com/whylost.htm

The South Vietnamese soldiers had strong willing to fight, were well
equipped with modern weapons, but they were defeated largely by
Washington was lacking in resolution. Many of the South Vietnamese
Soldiers died honorably and bravely side by side with many American
GIs.  Number of Americans killed during the Vietnam War: 58,000 and
Number of South Vietnamese soldiers killed during the Vietnam War:
223,748 and Number of South Vietnamese soldiers wounded during the
Vietnam 1,169,763.  http://www.rjsmith.com/kia_tbl.html

Mr. President Bush, where were you during the Vietnam War? Why did
you not in the Vietnam War?

I do respect you as our President. However, I think that you do own
the Vietnamese American Community and the Former South Vietnamese
Soldiers a big apology.
Sincerely,

Nam Nguyen
President, United Asian