Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A New Phone and Techie Controversy at Verizon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:23:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: October 5, 2004 2:47:57 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] A New Phone and Techie Controversy at Verizon

Dave,

A few days ago, I had a long chat with a Verizon Wireless spokeswoman
about this issue.  I was particularly interested in the privacy
implications of forcing photos through central services instead of
allowing dumping directly to PCs (I do the latter all the time with
a bluetooth-enabled phone subscribed to AT&T Wireless, which has no
such restrictions).  I haven't had a chance to write this up in
detail yet, but here's my summary of her comments.

1) She said that Verizon Wireless customers are mainly interested in
   quality voice service, not frills like camera phones.  She
   asserted that Verizon Wireless doesn't push cameras and such in
   advertising.

2) Verizon Wireless, she explained, is providing a total service,
   not just phones.  Integrating the photo servers is part of that
   total service.

3) She noted that Verizon Wireless has agreements with third-party
   entities (e.g., the photo server services) that might be violated
   if Verizon Wireless didn't force customers to route photos from
   such phones through those services.

4) She mentioned several times that this whole issue is not set in
   concrete and is undergoing continual review.

5) She suggested that there are organized groups on Web sites, etc.
   who are attempting to "pressure" Verizon Wireless on this matter.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blob: http://www.vortex.com/lauren-blog

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: