Interesting People mailing list archives

Interesting interview with Amar Bose

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:11:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <rmfxixB0406 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 26, 2004 2:43:32 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Interesting interview with Amar Bose

I just found it though it’s been available for a while. It’s in the October issue of Discover Magazine http://www.discover.com/issues/oct-04/departments/discover-dialogue/

One point he makes is that he has kept the company private so he can put all of the profits into research and scientific endeavors. It’s a sharp contrast with the entrepreneurial enthusiasm that forces public companies into treating research as a drain on profits. While I understand the importance of public companies being answerable to their shareholders, we do pay a price as society focuses on the short term and is not sufficiently curious. Of course as one who puts money into companies I do like the idea of getting some of it back … but that doesn’t help me much if I can only choose among the best of the past rather than having new opportunities.