Interesting People mailing list archives

more on F.C.C. to Seek Net Telephone Oversight

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:56:41 -0400

I agree with this analysis and I think Mike is doing the right thing.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Genny Pershing <gennypershing () yahoo com>
Date: October 20, 2004 4:49:00 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: more on F.C.C. to Seek Net Telephone Oversight

I think you are thinking about this quite backwards.

The question is not, will the FCC impose PSTN
regulation on VoIP.  That is not what Powell is up to.
 The question is, will the FCC step in, with the power
of the Constitutional Supremacy Clause, and say, "this
is a federal issue, not a state issue."  Will the FCC
step in, and prevent 50 states imposing regulatory
regimes on VoIP.  Read Powell's speach.  Read his
"four freedoms."  Powell is seeking to not-regulate
VoIP - but to succeed, he must keep others from
regulating it as well.

~G

So "voice" is regulated if it flows over the
"internet." How are they
going to decide what's "voice?"

(...)
I mean that a regulatory framework for billed,
PSTN-interconnected voice services is being
considered. Anything that isn't PSTN-interconnected
(in a practical sense, this means not using PSTN
numbering) is not being considered.

This is consistent with past approaches which
distinguished "PSTN VoIP"
(considered) from "PC VoIP" (not considered).

If some sort of regulatory framework does end up being
imposed on PSTN-interconnected VoIP, then you'd think
that this would increase impetus for service providers
to work around NANPA -- and interest in the DUNDi
scheme and its ilk.

cheers
Bram

Archives at:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/

=====
"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." --M. Facklam