Interesting People mailing list archives

Congress Plans Space Tourism Regulation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:41:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () dandin com>
Date: October 8, 2004 11:52:26 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Congress Plans Space Tourism Regulation

[Note: This item comes from Slashdot. Go to the orignal source to pick up all the links embedded in the story. I find this item shocking. The historic flight of SS1 is barely over and our government is rushing at warpspeed to regulate 'space tourism'. Simply amazing behavior. Besides the obvious impacts on innovation in this field due to the uncertainly that it now creates, all this can just end up driving these sorts of ventures offshore. The latest word is that this bill has been shelved for this session of Congress. DLH]

Congress Plans Space Tourism Regulation

Posted by michael on Thursday October 07, @02:22PM
from the long-arm-reaches-outer-space dept.

ackthpt writes "No new venture seems to escape some regulation, as is the case with the budding space tourism industry. As I piloted my personal groundcraft through pea-soup fog this morning (observing about half the others driving with lights off) CNN News mentioned impending regulation and legislation is on the way to govern commercial space transportation. Among concerns are safety of uninvolved public (to ensure boosters or other launch vehicle parts don't land on the unsuspecting public), assessing risk to passengers and level of fitness necessary to withstand the forces and conditions of spaceflight. Addressing such concerns are the FAA's office of commercial space transportation and the Commerce Department's Office of Space Commercialization and of course the US Congress."

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>