Interesting People mailing list archives

Saved by Google!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:36:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <amicus () well com>
Date: October 19, 2004 12:27:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, johnmac's living room <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Subject: Saved by Google!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3755154.stm

"An Australian journalist kidnapped in Iraq was freed after his captors checked the popular internet search engine Google to confirm his identity..."

Wonderful news, though it gets me thinking. Firstly, if I'm ever kidnapped in Iraq, I'm toast; Googling on "stapleton internet hunt" w/o the quotes will seal my doom. I think the little experiment that Rick Gates and I did in June 1993 was the first "Internet man-hunt," and while some of my management had fits, it was a nifty little experience.

Secondly, I'd greatly recommend Jasper Fforde's "The Eyre Affair" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0142001805/103-0673000 -7191064?v=glance) as a wonderful first novel (and he's written several others in the series) on the oh-so-thin line between what is written, and what is. Read the Amazon reviews... this is a great escapist read in a nasty election season. (Also worth noting in passing the position that Amazon holds as "the site of reference for books." I'd venture to guess that most people mentioning books use Amazon for the cites, and that page above will even give you excerpts. I don't think that Amazon will retain this role in the long term--I'll have a paper out soon discussing why--but we're in an interesting evolutionary phase of the Net.)

Lastly, it makes me wonder if there won't be a business niche for "reputation restoration" (and "The Eyre Affair" just oozes wonderful ideas re stretching time and content), with skilled operatives using the tools of text editing, strategic e-mailing, and litigation, to expunge negative Web content, and assert new, more positive spin. Want to run for president in 2008? Better start now to reshape the virtual landscape into something more flattering to your image...

Ross

-----

Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D., CISSP
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.