Interesting People mailing list archives

more on And thus the circus begins: ABC News reports voting problems in Florida

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:52:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cheryl Gilbert <cgilbert () xs4all nl>
Date: October 19, 2004 8:45:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] And thus the circus begins: ABC News reports voting problems in Florida

Dave,

Over in livejournalĀ“s expat community thereĀ“s an ongoing discussion about
problems that people are having with the absentee ballots.

May be interesting to some.

"I feel like such a hanging chad.

Yesterday, I filled out my absentee voter ballot for Berkeley County.
I'm an expat of four years, but I still deeply care about American
politics, I'm still a citizen, and I vote. Rather than a printed
ballot with words on, as it was in 2000, this year's ballot is a
Scan-Tron card. This is a type of card with small squares or ovals,
which are filled in with a dark color and which can then be optically
scanned using a special machine.

You should see this ballot: there's no writing on it anywhere. You
have to go back and forth between the four pages of instructions and
the card to make sense of it. It is actually worse than the Florida
ballots that were supposed to be so confusing back in 2000. At least
the Florida ballots had English words on them, and were not composed
entirely of tiny numbered squares. Since the "office use only" bubbles
were filled out in ink, I filled out my part in ink too, only to find
when I double-checked that you're supposed to use #2 pencil. Oops. I
haven't used a Scan-Tron since 1991, when I used to get pop quizzes on
them at college. And it's too late to get a new ballot, whatever
happens."

read the rest at:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/expats/198128.html

Cheryl Gilbert