Interesting People mailing list archives

It's Not the Election

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:07:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rod Amis <rod () g21 net>
Date: October 19, 2004 9:59:25 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: It's Not the Election

Professor,

Not sure if this is right for IP or not, but thought I'd send it along for your consideration.  It's from an editorial I ran this week at http://www.g21.net/mars394.htm (conclusion of the column.)  Thanks for your great newsletter/discussion group.

Cheers,

RA

G21 Editorial: The Aftermath

In January, 2001, I was in Washington, D.C., attending the inaugural of George W. Bush as President of the United States. Those of you who read the description I wrote in these pages after returning from that event will recall how appalled I was by what I saw. There was a razor-wire topped fence put up along the parade route of this inaugural and you couldn't enter the area without going through a security check point. The average reader won't think these kind of precautions are unusual today but let me remind you that this took place in pre-9/11 America. This kind of Banana Republic demonstrated fear of the general populace was unheard of in America before this time. I could not believe I was still in my own country.

In fact, my level of fear and anxiety increased in subsequent days (justifiably, I now believe) and I decamped for Europe.

So, contentious and electric as the current election cycle in the United States has proven to be, like many people, my gravest concern is about the aftermath of this election.

No matter who wins on 2 November this year, America will be a virulently divided, angry nation. The roiling political anger that is evidenced by the unprecedented number of attack ads airing on television from both political parties and independent groups supporting them is at such a level, and so directed toward our emotions as a people, that I fear it is feeding something dangerous that even the most Augustan of leaders will find difficult to contain or control.

No matter who is elected the next President of the United States, half the popular of the country -- and perhaps more -- will be passionately unsatisfied and angry.

 This is no small matter in a nation that is armed to the teeth.

 But that is only the top level of my concern today.

My secondary concern, as I watch the hate-mongering around me, the way in which people are being played with the fiddles of fear and retribution, springs from a deeper source -- the prompt for my memories of the Bush inaugural.

This nation, through its educational system, spends twelve years -- more or less -- in inculcating its children, its citizenry, with the notion that their homeland came to be through an act of revolutionary violence that produced revolutionary justice as embodied in its Constitution. Most of us grew up being taught to more or less revere the notion that taxation without representation was tyranny, that the people have the right to seek redress of grievances from their government and that if the government was not responsive to the will of the people it should be replaced. These were revolutionary concepts then and could be conceived as being even more so today.

And these concepts are the meat and bread of American political thought. Reflect on that notion for just a moment. Take a deep breath.

As I did in that article about my first direct experience of the Administration of George W. Bush, nearly four years ago, let me remind you of the contrast between the razor-wire and checkpoints for U.S. citizens and a previous President walking the streets of Washington to the White House and openly embracing his people only a few years earlier. When Mr. Bush was first faced with the American people he had a special armed limousine ordered and raced through the streets of our nation's capital ... Again, this was before 9/11.

In the view of many, this first experience of this regime was merely a precursor of asking for lists of books you check out of your local library and transcripts of your e-mails and telephone calls, orange alerts and the push for a national identification card.

During my lifetime, I have not heard the notion of moving to Canada or some other country after an election come up in regular conversation so much as I have this year, not since the Vietnam war. This time the interlocutors are not only draft-age adolescents but men and women with homes, mortgages and businesses established in their communities, people with children still in college and even retirees.

So it is the aftermath of this election that I take most seriously today, my loves, and not the election itself.

The MM (Mouthpiece Media) has made much of the fact that this country has experienced the most massive voter registration drive in the last fifty years, at least, during this election cycle. By even conservative estimates, millions of people who have not voted before or who have discontinued voting are now on the active rolls and poised to make their voices heard during the next few weeks.

Any number of people who were turned off by politics or simply ignorant of the civic process are now fired up to make their voices heard in a participatory democracy. They are daily exhorted to have their concerns, their interests and their ideas put on the front burner of the national agenda.

What if these newly kindled desires are frustrated? Just asking.

[End Snippet]