Interesting People mailing list archives

Woke up this mornin', got the election blues

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:36:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
Date: November 4, 2004 6:21:45 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Woke up this mornin', got the election blues

Hi Dave:

For IP if you wish.

Todays (UK) Guardian newspaper has an article by Emma Brockes which I think captures very well the reactions to the US election results of a large segment of the population here in the UK:

Woke up this mornin', got the election blues

We went to bed daring to hope and awoke to the crushing news. And ever since we've been swapping emails and texts about how miserable we feel. Emma Brockes on how George Bush's victory catapaulted liberal Britain into collective depression

Thursday November 4, 2004
The Guardian

The mistake we all made was in getting our hopes up. Until lunchtime on Tuesday, in accordance with the rules of superstition, lay supporters of John Kerry kept their outlook pessimistic. In bones, waters, winds and related vapours across the land, the election was divined by pro-Democrats to be in the bag for Bush. This is what is known as preparing a soft landing; it is measured in units of unhatched chicks.
. . .
When people woke yesterday morning, those for whom Bush's overnight gains were unwelcome weathered two sensations: a slug of shock, followed by a surge of recognition. We had been here before. This was 1992, the morning after the general election when, despite hatred for the Tories having peaked over the poll tax, they still managed to bring home a 21-seat majority. And so, not even callers to 5 Live could summon any outrage; despondency was instant and lethal.
. . .
By 10am, as people got to their desks and began a day of low productivity and high personal email exchange, it became clear that the most pressing post-election question was not, "Where were you when you heard Bush was winning?" but rather, "Where were you when you allowed yourself to think it could ever have been otherwise?" Dismally, people asked each other how long they had stayed up the night before. "Until 4.30am," said my friend Jim. "Long enough to start crying like a girl." If Jim's experience had been more widespread, perhaps news of Bush's irreversible lead yesterday would have been cushioned. But most people did not stay up until 4.30am. Most people seem to have bailed out, still feeling reasonably optimistic about the result, some time between midnight and 1.30am.
. . .
If there is such a thing as collective depression, then the circumstances of the election are just right to encourage it. At least the scandal in Florida four years ago gave people something to focus on; there was a battle to be raged. This time, despite some lingering uncertainty over the final result in Ohio, there isn't the consolation of injustice, of having someone to blame.
. . .

Full story at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1342798,00.html

And the Guardian's cartoonist Steve Bell has a typically corrosive captionless reaction, which (wordlessly) says it all - see:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/stevebell/0,7371,1343074,00.html

cheers

Brian

--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK