Interesting People mailing list archives

For Undisconnectables, Tomorrow May Bring Relief From Obsession

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:04:14 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John F. McMullen" <observer () westnet com>
Date: November 3, 2004 12:58:21 AM EST
To: johnmac's living room <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>

From the Wall Street Journal -- http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB109926556403660662,00.html? mod=technology%5Fcolumns%5Ffeatured%5Flsc

For Undisconnectables, Tomorrow May Bring Relief From Obsession
by Lee Gomes

You've heard, ad nauseam, about this election year's Undecideds, those who still can't make up their minds between two quite different presidential candidates. But there is another large group of citizens, spawned by the Internet, about whom you've heard virtually nothing: the Undisconnectables. On this the last day of Decision 2004, it's time to finally give the Undisconnectables their due.

Last year, the Internet was said to be poised to transform presidential politics in two ways: by bringing a populist cast to fund raising, and by giving candidates a new, direct method of reaching voters. The first prediction came true resoundingly; the second one, much less so. As with many other things involving technology, even the most elaborate political Web site has devolved from being a novel competitive advantage to a simple must-have, like bumper stickers and lawn signs.

The one aspect of the Web and the 2004 election that no one saw coming is the extent to which so many people would become utterly obsessed with following the race online -- to the point where they're incapable of disconnecting from their Web browsers for fear of missing the latest poll, the most recent blog posting, the latest headline at Yahoo News.

That has certainly described my life during the last few months. I had assumed, though, I was in a shame-filled, tiny minority -- until I began asking others how the election was going for them. I gradually discovered that nearly everyone I talked to shared my dirty little secret of Undisconnectablity.

The coup de grce came last week, when the president of a company -- a fairly big one at that, with a looming IPO -- opened up and confessed his own Internet election addiction. It was a breakthrough moment; we nearly hugged.

We immediately began to dissect the methodologies different polls use to determine who is or is not a "likely voter." If you're a fellow Undisconnectable, you know what an issue that is.

There is no Kinsey Report estimating the Undisconnectable population in this country. But it is a safe bet that U.S. productivity will surge on Wednesday, when all of them delete the likes of electoral-vote.com from their lists of browser favorites and get back to work.

(This, of course, assumes that the election won't be a repeat of 2000 and drag on for weeks. If it does, the problem will instantly get a whole lot worse. No one, particularly Undisconnectables, wants that to happen.)

Some might say the phenomenon of an election-paralyzed population is a function of the importance of this particular contest, which both Democrats and Republicans routinely say is the most important in our lifetime.

But the Internet itself shoulders much of the blame. One of the lessons of the Web is that if people have access to information, they will consume it, whether they are hungry or not.

Who among us didn't spend much of the late 1990s stock bubble hitting the "refresh" button on the Web pages that held our Web portfolios, even on slow trading days? Is doing a Google news search every 15 minutes on "bush and kerry and poll" really all that different?

What's more, Undisconnectables can claim that they aren't just passively observing the election, they are also helping shape it. Another trend of the 2004 season is the extent to which the language of fields such as literary criticism has infiltrated discussion of the campaign. Much attention is paid to the "narrative," or storyline, of the election. Another big word is "meme," which is a fancy way of saying "recurring idea." (Two big memes from 2004: Kerry is a flip-flopper; Bush refuses to acknowledge mistakes.)

In the blogosphere, which Undisconnectables prefer to the comforts of home, you see talk all the time about how everyone should be out there helping shape the narrative to their candidate's advantage. "This should be the new meme" has become a battle cry.

Sometimes, it works. The Bush blogosphere played a major role in forcing CBS to backtrack on the Bush National Guard memos. Liberal bloggers took the lead in putting pressure on Sinclair Broadcasting to modify its plans to show a documentary critical of John Kerry. (Blogs, by the way, are as starkly red-blue as the rest of the country.)

Advanced Undisconnectables -- the real pros -- follow events online so closely, and in real time, that as soon as something happens, it becomes old news, and they go on and look for the next event, the next trend, the next aspiring meme. This group has little use for evening news shows, which are, after all, hours old. As for the next day's newspapers, well, they might as well be history books for all the new news they will contain.

It's been a great run, but -- sigh -- now it's nearly over. Tomorrow morning, we Undisconnectables will be up bright and early, trolling for exit polls. The afternoon and evening will be spent opening champagne or crying in our beer.

After that, there will be the spat of post-partum depression inevitable after an experience of this intensity. We will never live through the likes of it again. At least not until 2008.

Send your comments to lee.gomes () wsj com

Copyright 2004 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use
has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The
'johnmacsgroup' Internet discussion group is making it available without
profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of
literary, educational, political, and economic issues, for non-profit
research and educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a
'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of
the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for
purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission
from the copyright owner.

For more information go to:

   "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
   "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    -- Arthur C. Clarke
    "You Gotta Believe" - Frank "Tug" McGraw (1944 - 2004 RIP)

                          John F. McMullen
   johnmac () acm org johnmac () computer org johnmac () m-net arbornet org
                  johnmac () tmail com johnmac () echonyc com
           jmcmullen () monroecollege edu johnmac () alumni iona edu
              ICQ: 4368412 Skype, AIM & Yahoo Messenger: johnmac13
                  http://www.westnet.com/~observer