Interesting People mailing list archives

More on: RE: Australia (maybe a good place to move to? djf} more on you can choose a paper ballot!!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:42:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: franke james <franke () jamesgang com>
Date: November 1, 2004 6:57:28 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: More on: RE: [IP] Australia (maybe a good place to move to? djf} more on you can choose a paper ballot!!

Dave,

As a Canadian bystander to the U.S. election, I can only hope that George W.
Bush is not re-elected.

So, I am not beating the 'bushes' to get people to come to Canada but that Australian email had me chuckling... If you move to Canada you will find:

* Liberal government (Faced down the wrath of the US by not joining the war in Iraq, but Canadians overwhelmingly thought it was the right decision and
returned the Liberals to Government)
* Peacekeeping volunteer army (sounds like an oxymoron but we like it, and
it does some good in the world)
* Medicare for everyone (you may have to wait months or years, but
eventually you'll get that MRI or surgery. And if you've got the money you
can go the US.)
* Generally more tolerant on issues such as same-sex marriage
* 30,000 Canadians got to 'whack' our Prime Minister just for satirical fun in the last election and nobody misconstrued 'whack' to mean 'knock off'!
(In the US, they might have been blacklisted)
* We still celebrate Hallowe'en with skeletons hanging on trees, kids
running around in costumes -- and nobody saw the ghosts of contractors in
Fallujah (except me).
* We scan the paper ballots into a voting machine. No major problems with
recounts as far as I know.

Please vote for world peace. Although we do like Americans it would be a
shame to have you move here to escape.

Franke James
Artist and Photographer
www.frankejames.com