Interesting People mailing list archives

Skipping Commercials Soon To Be a Crime?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:17:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-0406 () bobf frankston com>
Date: November 17, 2004 10:58:03 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Skipping Commercials Soon To Be a Crime?

"By Electronic means" -- once again we're reminded that the Ptolemaists are in charge. Even if Copernicus moved us away from the center of the universe they still assume that meaning and transport are intrinsically linked and
that only speech carried using 18th century technology is protected.

No wonder we have a Federal Speech Commission.

Will we soon have thought police that require we not only not skip the
commercials but not do something else during the commercial? I presume you can interpret the act of tuning into a broadcast F-word (the new F word is
frequency) as accepting an implicit contract to pay attention to the
commercial and buy the products at a rate consistent with the promises made
by the broadcasters?

With CableCos having their VOD channel and the Telcos going to 30mbps per
subscriber, we can consider broadcasting as an optimization for the
limitations of 19th F-technology (AKA Tuning-Fork-Physics or TFP)

As the Bush regime continues to view dissent as unnecessary and dangerous
the reality feedback loop will get longer and the disruption caused by
change will go from being an adjustment to being a seismic.

Of course science is, in its essence, a form of dissent. One must test ones models against reality. You learn the most when you find that you are wrong.

These issues are all linked -- it's bad enough that we have the FSC but I get very afraid if too many people agree with me and no one challenges my ideas. It may mean that I am "right" but more likely that I've left reality. I am even more afraid of those who don't accept the notion of fallibility.

The good news is that without a steering wheel one eventually is unable to
navigate a twisting road -- I hope the rest of use aren't aboard when
reality hits the fan.