Interesting People mailing list archives

more on THE ARRIVAL OF SECRET LAW FAS Secrecy News -- 11/14/04

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:55:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Mace <scottmace () wiredmuse com>
Date: November 15, 2004 7:03:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] THE ARRIVAL OF SECRET LAW FAS Secrecy News -- 11/14/04

 Dave--

Another secret TSA directive which Amtrak implemented on November 1, 2004, requires Amtrak passengers to produce I.D. during random I.D. checks on board the train. I called TSA on Friday and was informed that the directive was secret. I asked for further elaboration on why TSA took this step, and a TSA press official said she would check and call me back.

To the best of my knowledge, and having consulted with some rail transportation buffs, such on-board I.D. checks don't exist anywhere else in the non-Communist world.

 Scott Mace