Interesting People mailing list archives

request for book recommendations from IP cc djf

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:52:00 -0400

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:29:52 -0500
From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>
Subject: request for book recommendations from IP
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>

Dave,

In the current flood of political books, many are really pandering to one side of the aisle or the other, encouraging their friends and enraging their foes, without helping significantly in the search for truth. And I deliberately remain naive enough to believe that there might be shreds of truth on both sides of the aisle.

I've read and enjoyed a selection of books, mostly with liberal authors. I would appreciate the recommendation of a selection of books by conservative authors that are worth my time to read. It seems reasonable to exclude books by authors who view religious fundamentalism as a prerequisite for political influence, or those whose political idol is someone like Joseph McCarthy.

It would be nice to be able to compare intellectually responsible arguments on both sides, to be able to identify the core points of disagreement and, hopefully, even some common ground.

I would be happy to share my own opinions, but for now I'm just asking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Ben

--

Benjamin Kuipers, Professor         email:  kuipers () cs utexas edu
Computer Sciences Department        tel:    1-512-471-9561