Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC chief in VoIP warning

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:27:14 -0400

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:22:08 -0400
From: Claudio GutiƩrrez <cgutierrez () improvement cl>
Subject: FCC chief in VoIP warning
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, on Tuesday issued a stark warning to US telecom groups that a wave of competition from internet-based telephone calls would turn the industry on its head.

"If you are an incumbent you, in my opinion, ought to be terrified," he told the US cable industry's annual convention in New Orleans. "You ought to be terrified because we are lowering the barriers to offering a service to which you have dedicated a massive infrastructure."

Michael Powell's warning comes as large US cable groups, long distance telecommunication groups and a handful of start-up telecom operators are aggressively rolling out consumer broadband VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol) telephone services which are cheaper than the traditional service offered by the incumbent regional operators, known as Baby Bells.

<snip>

http://tinyurl.com/2ullb