Interesting People mailing list archives

So whats new with Pittsburgh Verizon DSL

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:18:04 -0400

Nothing. As of 0830 this am, access to some (maybe a large number) of Pittsburgh Verizon DSL customers has been down for 34 hours. When I called them I asked whether such service outages are appropriate for a communications company. After all there would be a major headline event if the telephone service was out that long due to human error. I was told that "after all, there is a federal requirement on telephone service not on data service.

I wonder what will happen as VOIP gets larger and outages like this take place.

Dave