Interesting People mailing list archives

SPAM Countermeasures Risks Digest 23.25

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 17:00:26 -0700

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:52:55 -0500
From: Scott MacQuarrie <scott () zwcx com>
Subject: SPAM Countermeasures

I am surprised at some of the ideas put forward to prevent spam and feel
many of them, such as charging for e-mail, are worse than the problem
itself. Ultimately, this is matter of using definitions to focus on the
actual problem, rather than trying to apply massive architectural changes to
"carpet-bomb" the problem.

By definition, spam is simply e-mail from unidentified sender(s). The
solution is to require senders to identify themselves, either by e-mail
address or domain before accepting their e-mail. There is no need to filter
e-mail from people you know or domains you trust. It's strangers you need to
watch.

Anti-spam lists, such as the Blackhole list and others are following this
strategy, but offering to act as an intermediary. The better, and simpler,
solution is at the individual layer, using tools such as choicemail from
Digiportal. (Note: I am simply a satisfied customer and, in no way represent
the company). This tool filters e-mail, based on if I allowed them or their
domain to e-mail me. If you are not know, you are sent an e-mail asking who
you are. The response (via digiportal's website - a trusted URL) is sent to
me and I can decide if I want to receive it. If you never respond, your
e-mail is quietly deleted. For mailing lists, such as this one, I can
authorize the domain or the individual e-mail address in advance.  During
the installation, It also happily reads my address file and adds anyone
found there to the authorized list (since I obviously know them).

After using this tool for almost a year, I have enjoyed a spam-free
existence. This has also not required a significant architectural change or
additional billing models to implement. This is simply the implementation of
the same process used if you ring my doorbell. If I don't know you, I may
not answer it.

Of course, I still have the bandwidth of the e-mail being sent, but this is
my ISP's problem, not mine.

Scott MacQuarrie, ZWCX Computer Corp.