Interesting People mailing list archives

High Tech, Strangled By the Beltway

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:57:34 -0500

High Tech, Strangled By the Beltway

By Ken Kay

Saturday, March 13, 2004; Page A19

After 28 years in Washington, I've moved to Tucson. I spent eight years working on Capitol Hill and the last two decades representing the interests of high-tech companies. I came to Washington looking to get involved in thoughtful policymaking. Right now I think there's a lot more of that going on outside the Capital Beltway than within.

The current Washington debate on global sourcing is the latest example. The trend among companies toward locating service and product development abroad is disturbing to many of us as Americans. But the fact is that some trends these days are global and simply beyond our control. The strident remarks coming from policymakers are likely to lead to little improvement in our overall economic situation. In the same way that the Soviets' Sputnik satellite woke up the country to the need for math and science education, the outsourcing conversation cries out for a constructive, long-term solution that ensures Americans have world-class education, a world-class workforce and the ability to remain a competitive global leader.

Another area where the Washington debate is more about heat than light is export controls. While these outdated regulations are ostensibly designed to prevent our most powerful computers from falling into the wrong hands, they are largely a fig leaf. They have virtually no impact on the flow of raw computing. Their real impact is on U.S. manufacturers who are prevented from selling computers worldwide. It's a glaring example of government policy that can't keep up with our new high-tech world. Government regulations work well for industries that change their formulas every 70 to 80 years, such as corn flakes or cola. They aren't at all well suited for high-tech industries that turn over 80 percent of their product lines every 18 months.

The same rhetorical flourishes used by those trying to control uncontrollable computing are directed toward pornography and intellectual property. In fact, proponents know that the regimes are likely to be ineffective, because the Internet is a global medium on which purely national responses have little impact. U.S. laws by themselves are toothless. Policymakers must address the void in our international frameworks. It's not clear whether we need an Internet equivalent of the Law of the Sea, but we do need comprehensive solutions to global challenges when national responses don't work.

Solutions are hard to come by in Washington, though. One of my biggest disappointments in my 19-year lobbying career was not being able to get the research-and-development tax credit made permanent. Nearly every policymaker was for it, but it never got done. The tech industry was looking for crispness and clarity of tax policy. Washington functions on the spin principle: Widespread recognition equals success. Unfortunately, what that often comes down to is that getting things spun is more important than getting them done.

To be sure, the high-tech sector is not always a consistent partner with government. When I began as executive director of a group of high-tech CEOs that I helped to start 14 years ago, one of them said to me, "We'll need to bring baseball bats to Washington and bash in some TV sets to get their attention." That attitude was representative of a true antipathy for government existing in major pockets of the industry.

Today it would be more accurate to describe the high-tech approach to government as ambivalent. High-tech wants help in some areas and deplores it in others. The tech sector needs to grow up and be clear about the areas in which it needs government as a consistent and dependable partner. For example, with the global skills race upon us, the computer industry needs government to do its part in encouraging investment in technology and innovation and in properly educating the U.S. workforce. The information technology industry should be clearer about its advocacy of such a constructive role for government.

Since moving West, I realize more than ever that those outside the Beltway understand the true nature of the evolving global market in a way that no one in Washington seems to. The head of economic development for Colorado Springs recently named for me the three places he saw as his city's chief competitors: They were three comparable cities in India! He said Colorado Springs needs policies that will allow its young people to compete with the young people of those Indian cities. It was stunning to hear someone from the Rocky Mountains get the global challenge better than anyone I had talked to inside the Beltway.

The writer is chairman of Infotech Strategies and former executive director of the Computer Systems Policy Project.

© 2004 The Washington Post