Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Gypsies win right to sue IBM over role in Holocaust

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:58:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Date: June 27, 2004 7:59:35 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Gypsies win right to sue IBM over role in Holocaust

This strikes me as another case of litigation run amok.  Having read Black's book asserting IBM complicity in the Holocaust, I have concluded that at best the case is unproven.  I found nothing there that is even remotely convincing that IBM (or its German subsidiary) knew or should have known that tabulating a census and identifying persons by racial, ethnic, or religious origin would lead to the murder of Jews, Gypsies, or any other identifiable group.  The
 US government itself collects such data.  Should our government at some
point in the future fall into the hands of truly evil people, would we want to assert that those who collected the information or tabulated it were complicit.
 I think not.

If one wants to take the line of reasoning that anything (such as tabulating
 equipment) makes evil acts easier, then we would need to file law suits
against a very large fraction of the corporate world and throw in a large number of charitable (NGO) institutions as well.  As I recall, Ford and GM plants were used to build military vehicles for Hitler, Texaco and Standard Oil provided fuel for them, and Chase and other banks helped finance the
 Third Reich.  The Roman Catholic church does not have clean hands
 either.

Now I do not believe for one minute that IBM (or most other companies) have always acted honorably in every respect.  But I do not impute to them the motives of trying to perform genocide or even significantly aid genocide. I think it well to remember that prior to 1941 there was a lot of persecution going on, but there is no real evidence that outside of a few close associates
 of Adolf that anyone knew what was to come in the way of mass murder.
 And by the time it was known, little could be done about it.

 I conclude, therefore, that if the Gypsies want recompense, and I feel
 that they deserve some, that they should look elsewhere than to IBM.

 Bob McClure