Interesting People mailing list archives

PFIR "Preventing the Internet Meltdown" Conference Info Online

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:36:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: June 26, 2004 12:57:28 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () pfir org
Subject: PFIR "Preventing the Internet Meltdown" Conference Info Online

Dave,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of detailed
registration, schedule, program, hotel, and other information
relating to our People For Internet Responsibility (PFIR)
"Preventing the Internet Meltdown" conference here in L.A. from
July 26 through 28, 2004.  The registration period for the
conference commences immediately.

The conference information is all available from the Meltdown
official announcement document and related linked pages via:

   http://www.pfir.org/meltdown

In the time since you, Peter G. Neumann, and I originally
suggested this conference, the situation with many issues
related to the Internet have become even more complex and
controversial.  These range from Internet governance and
control to Homeland Security issues; from VoIP, WHOIS, DNS, and
privacy to spam, viruses, and other attacks on the Internet
infrastructure and its users; and much more.  The Internet and
the global populations who depend upon it are at real risk.

We hope that this gathering will aid in mapping out some specific
courses of action that can help us all avoid the many negative
impacts that an Internet meltdown would impart.

We're looking forward to a most interesting and productive
event.  Thank you very much.  Be seeing you!

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy