Interesting People mailing list archives

more on 2 on Stephen Northcutt needs your help

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:47:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: June 26, 2004 7:18:50 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Stephen Northcutt needs your help

Dave -

I agree with Stephen that the use of adwords in this fashion is not
good. But, do you understand that CERT is not "the government" or "DOD"?
They get money from the feds, but so do many organizations, public and
private.  And, I think I'd want to understand if any government money
went into these training materials before invoking omb circulars.

So, good point on the sleazy ad techniques, but I think that applies
to all organizations.  And, I'm not sure what is wrong with the
SEI at Carnegie Mellon offering training.  It isn't that unusual
for a major university to offer classes, and universities have long
"competed" with private seminars in this arena.

Regards,

Carl