Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Why Vonage is Just a Fad

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 05:33:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Krulwich <krulwich () yahoo com>
Date: June 23, 2004 3:28:47 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Why Vonage is Just a Fad

This analysis completely ignores the non-US market of people with relatively
broadband who want US phone numbers and cheap calling to/from the United
States without all the overhead of dealing with US (or foreign) telcos, and
there the cost savings is much higher.

I don't use Vonage yet, but a large number of my neighbors in Israel do, and I plan to soon. Like many other non-US residents, I have a large amount of
communication with collegues, friends, and relatives in the US, who are
concentrated in 2 or 3 US area codes. Having a US number through Vonage would be not only a cost savings for me and them, it would change the whole model of calling, enabling it on cellphones and office phones without international
calling rights.

My own suggestion to them is to target specific foreign markets with high untapped communication needs to the States. Israel to NY/Chicago/LA, China and Japan to NY and San Francisco, etc. Also, target non-US start-ups to want
a lower cost US presence.

--Bruce