Interesting People mailing list archives

more on IRS eyes Net phone taxes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:56:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Mercer <radix42 () cox net>
Date: July 7, 2004 8:21:06 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] IRS eyes Net phone taxes

At 08:57 AM 7/7/2004, you wrote:
...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Kurt Albershardt <kurt () nv net>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:09:05 -0700
Subj: IRS eyes Net phone taxes

The IRS and Treasury Department notice, called an advance notice of
proposed rulemaking, asks for comments from the public no later than Sept. 30. Bradshaw, the IRS spokeswoman, said "we're requesting the comments so
we know what issues to look at."

Hi Dave, leaving aside for a moment how I feel about taxing VOIP calls, the last paragraph of this piece disturbs me greatly. I thought taxes needed to be decided by our representatives, you know, as in "No taxation without
representation?"

This is yet another clear example of how deeply the Congress has abrogated their legislative function to the Executive Branch. It's much less risky to get reelected if you left the details to the 'regulation' implementing the
'law' you passed.  And we all know that the Devil is in the Details, no?

Ye gods, half the things we worry about on IP and Politech should be decided by Congress, not some quickie 'rulemaking process'. We're all bound by those regulations just as tightly as if they were actual statutes, so why the hell does no one have to vote on them? They are where the economic winners and losers under almost every new statute is actually determined, Congress seeming
to merely decide the budget and rough areas that monies are to be spent.

Let's see, war-making decisions delegated largely to the Executive, check... legislative function likewise relegated to an un-accountable bureaucracy, check... hmmm, from reading history that sounds a damn lot like a classic imperial
form of govt.  We aren't there in an external sense, else we'd have been
levying a nice tax on our 'allies' for their defense the last 40 or so years in Asia and Europe. But our internal form of govt. is very clearly no longer a Republic, and our elections serve merely to rubberstamp the next selected
batch of oligarchs.

Both parties want an ever larger govt. to put it's noses into more and more things. Remember, when everything is political, everything is subject to
politics: just ask anyone who lived behind the Iron Curtain how that is.

And while we have FDR and LBJ to thank for most of the damaging structural changes that have led to this, GOP presidents haven't been noted for dismantling the sources of their new power either (certainly not THIS one!) Unfortunately I don't see any candidate or party anywhere on the landscape who'd have it otherwise, except perhaps some dogmatic, extreme fringe parties who are wholly
unelectable.

Yes, all that triggered by that one, short paragraph. The 'rulemaking process'
is IMHO a symptom of how deeply we have sold out our own revolution.

Cheers,

David Mercer
Tucson, AZ