Interesting People mailing list archives

CNBC censors DNC

From: dave () farber net
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:17 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Shannon McElyea <shannon () auntieshannon com>
To: Severo Ornstein <severo () poonhill com>, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:42:47 -0700
Subj: FW: CNBC censors DNC

-----Original Message-----
From: Stan [mailto:kacfan () dslextreme com]
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 10:49 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: CNBC censors DNC

Bill Maher, on Real Time last night, said that many of the networks,
including CNBC, cut off the Rev. Al Sharpton during his speech at the
DNC.  I  had no idea, since I watched the coverage on CSPAN (and
listened on NPR) which is unbiased, since they just show the convention
without any commentary.

Whether you agree with Al or not, shouldn't you be allowed to choose
whether you listen to him or not?  I guess the anti-choice conservative
networks don't think you can be trusted to decide for yourselves.  Oh,
I'm sure I'll hear some whining from some of the conservatives on this
list on how much they hate Al Sharpton for this reason or that, which is
fine, but should opinions like that stop others from seeing him if they
want to?  BTW, this is exactly the kind of thing you should expect when
only a few conglomerates own most of the media outlets.  We can thank
FCC Chairman Michael Powell for this.

Back to Al and his speech... I can see why they cut Al off, because he
really tore Bush a new one.  When Al started his speech, CSPAN panned
around the hall and you could see people chit chatting amongst
themselves and not paying much attention.  By the time Al ended his
speech, the crowd was up on their feet and shouting!

I've never been a big Sharpton fan, but his speech was something to
behold.  If any of you missed it and would like to see it, I can pull it
off my Tivo, encode it and put it up on the net.