Interesting People mailing list archives

UN INTERNET POLICY OFF COURSE, PIONEER SAYS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:50:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: July 21, 2004 9:30:51 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] UN INTERNET POLICY OFF COURSE, PIONEER SAYS

UN INTERNET POLICY OFF COURSE, PIONEER SAYS

The United Nations is veering off-track in its discussions on whether
government officials should set Internet policy, says Vinton Cerf. Instead,
governments should join together to fight electronic crime globally and
develop best practices to encourage the growth of Internet commerce. "We
need the U.N. to foster global standards, global frameworks," said Cerf,
who is chairman of ICANN, the U.S.-based body governing Internet domain
names. "We don't need redundant coordinating bodies, but what we do need
and don't have are parts of the U.N. to look at issues such as electronic commerce, the question of digital signatures, tax, fraud and enforcement."

[SOURCE: Reuters]
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml; jsessionid=N5Y4PFFX0NNOACRBAEOCFEY?type=internetNews&storyID=5727969>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>