Interesting People mailing list archives

Flight Risk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:28:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-0406 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 14, 2004 1:06:28 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Flight Risk

It sounds like a stupid question but what is the TSA protecting us against?

The new threat from steak knives? If the goal were just to knock planes down then we know there are other ways. If it's against the exact 9/11 scenario then it's a classic case of fighting old battles. If it's against planting
explosives then El Al's approach is quite different and targeted at that
threat.

What's the real cost of the TSA system? Perhaps it's necessary for marking
purpose to make people think flying is safe but ...

Are there any measures of what TSA has prevented beyond the number of pocket
knives confiscated -- now I can't open packages because I have no longer
carry my little knife. Of course many would argue that the threats haven't
materialized because of the TSA but that's not very convincing.