Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Exporting America

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:23:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: adam beecher <adam () beecher net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:59:14
To:dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Exporting America

Hi Dave,

Hope you're well. This is for IP if you wish.

John Parmater lost me early on in his article on the outsourcing issue, when
he mentioned that despite outsourcing, "jobs continue to grow". I'm not an
MBA either and I only have high-school-level economics, but I was under the
impression that in the order of one to three million jobs had been lost in
America in the last few years (depending on who you listen to). At least
that's what the Bush In 60 Seconds creators seem to think.

In all honesty I'm hung on the issue of outsourcing so I'm not trying to
dilute his entire his argument, I just don't understand this assertion. Did
outsourcing not impact on these job losses at all? Is Bush entirely
responsible? Are the losses a liberal myth?

(I'm being facetious of course!)

adam

| Politicians are people who lie to the press and |
| then believe what they read.       (Will Durst) |