Interesting People mailing list archives

more on spam flood

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:50:39 -0500

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

At 06:01 PM 1/26/2004, Dave Farber wrote:
I am getting flooded with piles of spam with an attached zip file. Is anyone else

Dave,
Yes, it's pretty awful. Here's our coverage:

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5147605.html?tag=nefd_top

New virus hitting in-boxes

By <mailto:rob.lemos () cnet com?subject=FEEDBACK:New virus hitting in-boxes>Robert Lemos
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
<http://news.com.com//2100-7349_3-5147605.html?tag=prntfr>http://news.com.com/2100-7349-5147605.html

Story last modified January 26, 2004, 2:46 PM PST

Antivirus firms on Monday warned of a new mass-mailing computer virus that has gained a foothold in a large number of PCs by masquerading as an e-mail error.

The virus--known as MyDoom, Novarg and as a variant of the Mimail virus by different antivirus firms--arrives in an in-box with one of several different random subject lines such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test" or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment."

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

Get Up to Speed on...
<http://news.com.com/2001-7355_3-0.html?tag=gutspro>Enterprise security<http://news.com.com/2001-7355_3-0.html?tag=gutspro>
1438c898.jpg

Get the latest headlines and
company-specific news in our
expanded GUTS section.
1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

1438c852.jpg

"It's huge," said <http://news.com.com//2008-7355-5147477.html?tag=nl>Vincent Gullotto, vice president of security software maker Network Associates' antivirus emergency response team. "We have it as a high-risk outbreak."

In one hour, Network Associates itself received 19,500 e-mails bearing the virus from 3,400 unique Internet addresses, Gullotto said. One large telecommunications company had already shut down its e-mail gateway to stop the virus.

Antivirus firms were scrambling Monday afternoon to learn more about the virus, which started spreading around 1 p.m. PST.

"A lot of the information is encrypted, so we have to decrypt it," said Sharon Ruckman, senior director for antivirus software maker Symantec's security response center. Symantec has had about 40 reports of the virus in the first hour, a high rate of submission, Ruckman said.

Antivirus firms are still analyzing the virus. Variations in the body text include, "The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment."

The virus also seems to install another program on the victim's computer, but until the antivirus firms decrypt the program's code, the purpose of the file is unknown.

Mail systems that remove executable files from e-mails can stop the program from spreading