Interesting People mailing list archives

the INS and "welcome to the USA"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:44:34 -0500

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:37:52 -0500

Dave, as the source of my info are first hand, and very concerned about retribution regarding the facts described below, and can be relatively easily traced if my name was posted, would appreciate anonymity on their behalf.

-----------------------------

Dave,

Northwest Airlines admission today that, contrary to previous denials, it gave passenger info to US government sponsored entities working on combatting terrorism, my recent conversations reported below provoke further concerns.

I was talking to some friends recently who are citizens of strong US allies (ie, long time NATO countries) who are frequent visitors to US on business, academic conferences and cultural, educational pursuits

They indicated that many professional, business colleagues are increasingly treated by INS agents at airports with unprecedented rudeness, increased scrutiny, and in many instances deported summarily (after being held 12-24 hrs at airport holding facilities absent access to help from their countries' diplomatic reps) and /or told to leave the country within 14 days of re-entry to US -- merely because they have too many entry stamps to the US in their Visas or Passports.

Great way to treat the opinion 'leadership class' of our vital economic, academic and diplomatic partners throughout the world.

No one argues that post 9/11 we have to be much more careful about our borders' security. However, abuse of legitimate frequent visitors is sure to be counter productive.

Treatment of frequent business, academic and legitimate pleasure travellers to the US receive from INS agents at airports is repeatedly reported to be rude, and downright intimidating.

Numerous detentions are reported where detainees are not allowed any contact with family members, professional colleagues waiting at the airport, or even representatives of their local embassy. In some instances not even US State Department or even US DOD Department officials have been able, or willing, to intercede in case of diplomats being so treated.

It seems that INS agents, now under authority of the Dept of Homeland Security have no effective review of their actions. Hardly comforting when considering the abrogation of our civil liberties in the name of 'national security.

Seems that the Homeland Security administration has unrestricted power to deal with visitors to US in the name of national security. With even the State and Defense Departments having no power to intervene even on behalf of visitors so abused having DOD security clearances !! How troubling such reports are.

Apparently this administration still believes, wrongly, that national security can be won or maintained only through raw military power.

Absent the goodwill and pro-active assistance of our allies and friends, we have no chance to effectively combat terrorism motivated by ideological nihilists.

Abuse of our friends and allies most pro-US representatives (otherwise why would they be travelling to US so much on business, academic exchange, and other cultural pursuits??) is hardly an effective 'homeland security' strategy.

Hopefully presidential candidates of both parties in the coming election will be asked how they will assure that the 'war on terrorism' is not used misguidedly to destroy America's goodwill overseas, is effectively carried out, absent abuse of US and non-US citizens through misapplication of Homeland Security Dept's and the Patriot Act.