Interesting People mailing list archives

How Government Can Bring New Communications to All Americans: Six Lessons from History Discovered by a Libertarian.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:21:00 -0500

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:57:33 -0500
From: John Berresford <John.Berresford () fcc gov>
Subject: New Berresford Article
To: dave () farber net

Dear Dave:

You may remember me from the FCC, especially the IM issue in the AOL-Time Warner merger. You were kind enough to include an article I wrote on Universal Broadband in your Interesting People site.

I have just had a new draft article published, on the web page of the Harvard Program for Information Resources Policy. It's titled "How Government Can Bring New Communications to All Americans: Six Lessons from History Discovered by a Libertarian." It recounts the history of (a) how telephone service got into every home, (b) how government 'cleaned up' radio in the late 20s and early 30s, (c) how government set up over-the-air tv and stunted cable tv, and (d) the causes and effects of the Bell System Break-Up. It examines, in each case, what government did (and refrained from doing) that sped or slowed new technology getting to all Americans. It then draws six lessons, which may be of use to people planning the next generation of the Internet and HDTV.

I thought it might be of interest -- <http://www.pirp.harvard.edu/publications/pdf-blurb.asp?id=594>http://www.pirp.harvard.edu/publications/pdf-blurb.asp?id=594.

Whether or not, I hope you're well and Happy New Year.

John Berresford